Types of Higher Education Institutes
- Nature and scope of activities
- Founding and Funding
- Organisational units
On the Basis of Nature and Scope of Activities
University type higher education institutions: This type of higher education institution offers study programmes at all the three degree levels- bachelor, master and doctoral level. The programmes are offered in the area of art, science and technology. These institutions can use the term “University” in the name of the institution.
Non-university higher education institutions: This type of higher education institution offers courses up to the first degree level, i.e. bachelor degree courses.
On the Basis of Founding and Funding
Public higher education institutions: These are set up as per the higher education Act. These institutions are self-governing and independent, and regulated by independent bodies. These institutions are funded by the Government of Slovakia. The independent bodies of the institutions are the rector, the disciplinary commission, the academic senate, and the scientific council. These independent bodies determine the structure, activities and management of the institution.
State higher education institutions: These institutions are set up by law and managed and regulated by the state through the Ministries of the Slovak government. These institutions are receives fund from the state budget. In Slovakia, there are three state higher education institutions, and these are- police, healthcare and military schools.
- Police higher education institutions: These institutions are set up and managed by the Ministry of Interior. The police institutions prepare candidates for security services and police corps.
- Healthcare higher education institutions: These institutions are founded and managed by the Ministry of Health. The healthcare institutions prepare graduates for health/medical professions.
- Military higher education institution: These institutions are founded and managed by the Ministry of Defense. These institutions generally prepare individuals for armed forces.
Private higher education institutions: These institutions are founded and funded by non-government organizations or institutions. This type of institution requires state approval that is granted by the Government of the Slovak Republic. The approval is based on the Accreditation Commission consent. These institutions provide study programmes in the areas of law, economics, social work, international relations, business management, medical, public administration and regional development. Currently, there are 13 private higher education institutions in Slovakia.
Foreign higher education institutions: These institutions are from the EU/EEA member countries or Switzerland, and operate in Slovakia upon receiving approval from the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sports of Slovakia. These institutions provide higher education on the territory of the Slovak Republic as per the law of their place of residence.
On the Basis of Organisational Units
The higher education institutions in Slovakia are split up into organisational units:
- Faculty (fakulta): These are a self-governing and independent unit with a higher level of autonomy
- Institute (ustav): These are managed and regulated by the higher education institutions or faculty.
- Department (“katedra“)